Project: Food Budget (26/5/11)
Goal: 1000 kr (approx £117 / $190) Actual: 681 kr Budget = rounded up for 2 adults preparing 3 meals a day (any meals eaten out and ‘unplanned snacks’ are not included in this budget as that is highly individual). A pretty non-eventful week I’m afraid…the most exciting thing is that the health food shop now stocks organic strawberries picked fresh every morning, for the whole summer – yum! We used the strawberries in one of our most delicious Chia Seed snacks yet (see below). The reason the budget was so low is that we basically only had to buy vegetables this week as we have a good stock of rice, quinoa, buckwheat etc. We’ve been eating big mixed salads or adding raw/roasted/stir-fried vege in with those staples. I’ve discovered a new favourite juice mix: 3 cucumbers, 1-2 courgettes, 1 yellow apple. Simple n tasty. Raw Chia Seed pudding:
- Soak about 1/2 cup chia seeds over night in filtered water. The seeds expand so make sure you add at least twice as much water as seeds, but not too much more otherwise the gelatinous consistency this mix turns into will be too watery.
- Add 1/2 – 1 tsp cinnamon powder, a banana, a small handful of strawberries and mix it altogether.
- Top with goji berries.
Considered a superfood, Chia Seeds (which are gluten-free btw) bring to this delicious snack omega 3 fatty acids, essential nutrients and a good source of protein (more so than other beans in fact) and fiber. They are great at balancing blood sugar levels too so this a great snack to have instead of reaching for your mid-afternoon chocolate bar. We sometimes make this for dessert or even breakfast. Read about Project: Food Budget challenge and please feel free to join by keeping your own budget and reporting back in the comments section. Participating Blogs (bloggers love feedback so please leave juicy comments to offer support on our challenge posts!):
- Emily Levenson
- Veggie Converter
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Motor City Girl In the Steel City
- Veggie Burgher
- The Happy Cactus
- Test Kitchen Tuesday
- Newly Vegan
- Veggie on the Cheap
- MeloMeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day
- A Guy, A Girl, And a Dinner Plate
- The Veggie Life
- Caroline Cain Holistic Health
- Going Veggie
- Under The Apple Tree
- Be The Change