Gazpacho: Raw Tomato Soup
I always thought that Gazpacho, a cold tomato soup, or ‘liquid salad‘ from Southern Spain, was a weird concept. For some reason I just didn’t get it. Until I made a Gazpacho Smoothie. And loved it. It’s essentially the same thing, just whipped up in a blender. Shame really as I spent a year in Seville whilst I was at University and could have enjoyed the real deal to my heart’s content. Taste buds change, as do we. My ever enthusiastic Spanish friend, Ana, approved of this version of Andalucia’s most famous dish when I served it as a starter at a recent dinner party I had. Whipping this up in a blender is a very easy and popular starter for any dinner (adapted from Ani Phyo’s Raw Food recipes).
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes - chopped
- 1/4 cup onion - chopped
- 1 cup cucumber - peeled and chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper (any colour) - chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups filtered water ( add gradually to desired consistency)
- Set aside some chopped cucumber and bell pepper to use as garnish
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender - but not too much. Keep it chunky
- Chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge
- When ready to serve, garnish with cucumber, bell pepper, seeds and fresh herbs of your choice
- !Buen Provecho!
Please share YOUR super easy traditional recipes (from anywhere) with us in the comments below!