Fertility Friday: Fertility Smoothie
Optimising your health to boost fertility and create the healthiest baby possible is not all about cutting out. What you put in is just as important. This delicious smoothie is one way of packing in a punch of nutritious goodness in just one glass.
Fertility Smoothie Benefits
- Vitamins and Minerals – pack in your important fertility nutrients in a single, easily absorbed way.
- Antioxidants – to protect cells and the DNA within them from oxidative (free radical) damage, maintaining healthy egg and sperm health.
- Fiber – helps the body to get rid of excess hormones by packing them together and making sure they move through the digestive tract and out of the body. Fiber also helps balance blood sugar which is essential for PCoS and other hormonal disruptions.
- Enzymes – are biological catalysts which regulate all biochemical processes in our bodies. They play a vital role in digestion, breaking down nutrients to make them available to us to use for energy, rebuilding and repair.
- Acid/Alkaline balance – fruits, vegetables and essential fatty acids help to alkalise our bodies, which tend to be on the more acidic side due to diets which favour acidic foods such as wheat and other gluten grains, animal produce, salt, coffee, alcohol and modern lifestyle such as pollution, chemicals in food and our environment. Maintaining the delicate pH balance in our bodies is essential for overall health, including all aspects of fertility such as hormonal, egg and sperm health and maintaining a sperm friendly uterine environment.
Fertility Smoothie Ingredients
- Generous handful fresh or frozen berries (antioxidant – mangoes are also great to use)
- Generous handful baby spinach, parsley or other dark green leaf (iron, folic acid)
- 1 banana (for texture and to boost male fertility)
- 1 T rosehip, acerola cherry, goji or acai powder (vitamin C, antioxidant)
- 1 T Maca (awesome fertility root)
- 1 T flaxseed oil (omega 3 – you might want to build up to this depending on whether you like the taste or not)
- 1/2 t cinnamon powder (chromium to balance blood sugar)
- Water to consistency required
- Beneficial optionals: 1/2 t green powder (or a mix of) spirulina, chlorella, wheatgrass (or a fresh wheatgrass shot if possible), barley grass gradually working your way up to 1-1.5 t; vanilla powder to taste; 1 T bee pollen; kefir; raw egg yolk (quality is vital – from pastured chickens only); raw honey; 1 T coconut oil
How to eat / drink your smoothie
- Chew each mouthful. This may look a little silly and take some getting used to, but you want to get your salivary enzymes going to start breaking down the nutrients in your smoothie. If you just gulp it down you by-pass this step and cause extra work on the rest of your digestive system.
- Drink / eat it up within about 10 minutes to prevent it from oxidising. You can store it in an air tight container in the fridge for about 24 hours (so no excuse if you ‘don’t have time in the morning’).
- Have your smoothie for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
Do not underestimate the benefits of simple additions such as a delicious smoothie to your diet. Both male and female fertility would greatly benefit from starting each day off with one of these beauties.
What other fertility smoothie recipes have you tried out? How to you include fertility superfoods into your diet?