10 Everyday Uses For Apple Cider Vinegar
If Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) isn’t a staple in your house, it will be once you realise just how many benefits it has (other than to make a delicious vinaigrette). ACV is one of my favourite ingredients to use in the kitchen, bathroom and around the house. ACV has been used for hundreds of years for its medicinal properties. Raw ACV is not pasturized and therefore contains a lot of the benefits from the apples it was made from. These benefits are further increased as it is fermented, turning into a real superfood. NB: buy organic ACV that still has the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. This shows that it contains live nutrients and healthful bacteria.
Have a look a these 10 varied uses for ACV:
- Multi-purpose household cleanser: Mix 2 tablespoons ACV with 1 cup water, add a few drops of tea tree essential oil. Store in a spray bottle. Shake before use and use for all household cleaning
- Laundry softener: use instead of chemical laden softeners or softener sheets. Add 1/2 cup to your final laundry rinse
- Hair rinse: for smooth, shiny hair and as a dandruff treatment, dilute 1 tablespoon ACV in 2 cups water and apply during your final rinse. You can leave it on, your hair won’t smell of vinegar once it’s dry
- Face toner: mix 1/2 tablespoon ACV with 1 cup water. Apply with a cotton pad or splash it on your face from a bowl. ACV is great to help with skin conditions such as acne, warts and other skin conditions (don’t get any in your eyes!).
- Sunburn relief: add ACV to your bath and have a soak. Or apply directly to the affected area with a cloth soaked in ACV
- Indigestion/heartburn: mix 1 tablespoon ACV in 100ml water. Sip this instead of reaching for your Rennies (it really works, I tried this first hand as I didn’t leave enough time between eating and laying my pregnant self down to sleep, much to my discomfort…until ACV came to the rescue!)
- Weight loss: ACV helps to break down fats so that they are used rather than stored and helps balance blood sugar (it is therefore also beneficial for diabetes). Use as above
- Arthritis: ACV helps relieve joint pain and stiffness as it is anti-inflammatory and alkalising. Use as above
- Colds, flus, sore throats: As soon as you feel any of these coming on, use as above to alkalise the body and boost your immune system with antioxidants. Continue 3 times a day for about 3 days to prevent a full blown onset. This is one of my first go-to remedies if I feel something coming on.
- Pets: use on your pets to help ward away fleas and create a shiny coat! Wash your pet with a gentle shampoo, mix 1 tablespoon ACV with 1/2 liter water, sponge on. Let your pet dry naturally (put some in a spray bottle to apply easily on-the-go)
These are but the tip of the ice-berg when it comes to the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar.
What’s your favourite way of using apple cider vinegar in and around the house? Please share your tips and tricks below – any natural remedy tips and original ideas especially welcome!